The AMA has released new 2021 guidelines for E/M clarifications and we have the updates for the new corrections. Stay up-to-date and informed with RTW about new changes in guidelines in coding for E/M. Continue reading below to learn more.
March 9, 2021 – American Medical Association (AMA) released an update to the 2021 Evaluation and Management (E&M) guidelines with clarification of definitions within the previously released guidelines. These updates, although vast, appear to really focus on the Data elements of our Medical Decision Making (MDM).
The updated guidelines list the following revisions.
- Clarifying when reporting a test that is considered, but not selected after shared decision making.
- Providing a definition of “Analyzed” for reporting tests in the data column.
- Clarifying the definition of a “unique” test.
- Clarifying what is meant by “discussion” between physicians, and other qualified health care professionals and patients.
- Providing a definition of major vs minor surgery