RT Welter and Associates would like to notify our clients of recent changes in the UnitedHealthcare Consultation Services Policy. For specialist providers, this is a huge cut in reimbursement! Read below for more information and contact RT Welter to help strategize how your practice can “make-up” this revenue!
Revision to the Consultation Services Policy
UnitedHealthcare is revising the Consultation Services Policy and will no longer reimburse CPT® codes 99241-99255. This change aligns UnitedHealthcare with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). We would like to partner with care providers on older fee schedules (2009 and prior) to move to more current fee schedules.
UnitedHealthcare will take a phased approach to implement this change as follows:
1. Effective with dates of service of June 1, 2019, UnitedHealthcare will no longer reimburse CPT codes 99241-99255 when billed by any health care professional or medical practice with a participation agreement that includes contract rates determined on a stated year 2010 or later CMS RVU basis.
2. Effective with dates of service of October 1, 2019, UnitedHealthcare will no longer reimburse CPT codes 99241-99255 when billed by any health care professional or medical practice.
3. Health care professionals and medical practices should instead bill consultation services in accordance with current evaluation and management guidelines published by CMS.
4. With respect to telehealth and telemedicine services, the Telehealth & Telemedicine Policy will continue to apply and HCPC codes G0406 – G0408, G0425 – G0427, G0508 and G0509 will be payable pursuant to that policy, the participation agreement and the member’s benefit plan.
5. Consultation services may still be reimbursed when billed in accordance with the Preventive Care Services Coverage Determination Guideline for services such as lactation counseling.
6. At this time, we will not be altering the Global Days Policy to apply a reduction to evaluation and management codes submitted with modifiers 25 or 57 as once announced with this Consultation Services policy change.
CMS ceased reimbursement of consultation services CPT codes in January 2010 and increased the Relative Value Units (RVUs) for E/M codes at that time to offset this shift in its reimbursement methodology.
For this reason, UnitedHealthcare encourages providers who are on an older fee schedule to modernize their fee schedules to bring them into alignment with CMS’s current Relative Value Unit methodology, since the older fee schedule reimbursement does not appropriately align with current RVU structure for E/M services and many other procedure codes.
UnitedHealthcare appreciates this change may have an impact on participating health care professionals and medical practices. So, if you have concerns or questions, or to update your fee schedule to a more current fee schedule, please reach out to your UnitedHealth Network representative.
Click here for more information.
Call RT Welter and Associates at 303.534.0388 or 877.825.8272 for information on how these revisions may affect you.