As a result of the many provisions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the CMS Innovation Center (CMMI) was created to promote quality healthcare, stronger health outcomes, and encourage fiscal responsibility. CMMI acts as the facilitator for designing the most efficient payment methodology for reimbursing healthcare providers based on value rather than volume. CMMI also provides a platform for doctors, stakeholders, and other health care partners to participate in a collaborative process for generating the ultimate pay-for-performance model.
CMMI is responsible for the implementation and oversight of Quality Payment Program (QPP), which aligns all other incentive programs such as Meaningful Use, Value Based Payment Modifier, and PQRS. Practices will begin to see the financial impact of QPP starting in 2018. Upcoming CMMI initiatives include:
- Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) Expansion
- Acute Myocardial Infarction Model
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Model
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Incentive Payment Model
- Comprehensive Primary Care Plus Model
- Surgical Hip and Femur Fracture Treatment Model
- Accountable Health Communities Model
- State Innovation Models
Click here to get on the CMMI listserv today to stay up to date on upcoming and new payment initiatives.