ICD-9 code: 642.93 – Unspecified hypertension complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium, antepartum condition.
In order to code this in ICD-10, you would need to know:
- Is the hypertension pre-existing, or gestational?
- Is the hypertension secondary?
- Are there associated complications from the hypertension, such as edema, or pre-eclampsia, and if so, is the pre-eclampsia mild, moderate, or severe? If severe pre-eclampsia, is there associated HELPP syndrome?
- What trimester of pregnancy is the patient in?
- How many weeks gestation?
Check your provider’s current documentation! Does it meet these requirements?
Related ICD-10 Code (to the above): Z63.1 – Problems in relationship with in-laws
In preparation for the upcoming deadline for ICD-10 implementation, RT Welter presents weekly ICD-10 Codes of the Week! Our goal is to familiarize you with the new and expanded code set and the additional clinical documentation needed from your providers to comply with ICD-10 coding, and more importantly, for accurate and clean claims submission to keep your revenue stream flowing! We are to help YOU prepare for the October 1, 2014 implementation date. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for all of your training and education needs!