What is a Medical Billing Software? Medical Billing Software is a computer application that manages the financial and administrative functions of a healthcare organization. This usually includes patient management, insurance management & billing, patient & insurance statements, reporting, scheduling, electronic billing and collections. This customizable software with many user definable features enables the office manager and billing staff to also check in/check-out patients, verify eligibility, submit claims. To support this workflow, the system will maintain a comprehensive set of payor rules and policies. What are some of the questions that you can ask the vendor? If you are considering purchasing an EMR in the near future, ensure to work with a software vendor that also offers a Medical Billing Software system. Also keep in mind some of the below questions prior to your purchase:
- Which claims forms does the system support?
- Can the system support durable medical equipment billing?
- Does the system maintain payer rules for the practice’s accepted insurance?
- Does the practice prefer an on-premise or web-based system?
- Is the system easy-to-use and easy-to-learn?
- Does the system offer a patient portal?
- What is the total cost of ownership over the system’s life?
Source: Questions from Health Technology Review: